Thursday 23 August 2012

'A HISTORY OF...'//BRIEFING-IDEA//OUGD504-SUMMER

BRIEF:
Use the tasks outlined below to generate a body of increasingly focussed research into specific areas of interest within each theme. Use your source material to identify and present a relevant ‘History of….’ your selected material. Your response will form the starting point for the first studio module of Level 05, it is therefore important that you generate a quantity of good quality factual and statistical material from a breadth of sources as well as documenting and analysing your findings you should aim to source a breadth of appropriate primary and secondary visual material.

GENERATING IDEAS:
I looked at the categories that we'd been given to choose from and generated some ideas of interest as a starting point:
LIST ONE
CULTURAL IDENTITES:  Tea culture/ tea drinking/ tea - I feel this is a subject that can develop a wide depth of research, from the history of tea/ tea culture to the success of its produce.  The significance of tea differs within each culture making it an interesting topic to explore and link to cultural identities.
LIST TWO
DESIRABLE OBJECTS/USEFUL INVENTIONS:
I think tea culture/tea can be found under both of these categories as in the past tea was seen as a desirable item only consumed by the wealthy.  It could also be seen as a useful invention being very popular and the second most consumed drink in the world, after water.

Another idea for useful inventions was the type writer, looking at the development of the machine and the type produced by it.
LIST THREE
EVENTS/CURRENT AFFAIRS:
Something that I thought would go in both these categories is the London Olympics 2012, I thought this would be something good to look into as the olympic park is in est London where I live and thought it would be easy to get some first hand research.

MY IDEA:
I decided I wanted to look into a subject that I thought I would enjoy and would have a rich history of interesting information that I know hardly anything about.  I think learning about something as specific as tea/tea cultures history and the various sub categories that I could go into would create an interesting body of research and allow me to create something informative and visually appealing about my chosen subject.  Sub categories that I will research into that I think will help to further my knowledge on the topic are: the history of tea, tea culture, stats figures and facts about tea consumption, tea culture and consumption in the UK and all over the world, the different types of tea and tasseography (fortune telling through the patterns of tea leaves.)  I chose to do this instead of the Olympics because I feel i could research more specifically and prefer the possible visuals that would come out of this topic.  I feel the historical aspects behind the olympics are more apparent than Tea despite the worldwide popularity of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment